Sheen added to Chartist display

« Older   Newer »
Steeef
view post Posted on 10/4/2010, 10:25

CITAZIONE

NEWPORT-born actor Michael Sheen opened an exhibition on Chartist history in the city yesterday.

The display, at Newport Museum, tells the story of the political uprisings in and around Newport in the 19th century and includes contributions from local historians and descendents of the movement’s leaders.

Mr Sheen, 41, who has starred in films including The Queen, Frost/ Nixon and The Damned United, declared the exhibition open in front of around 100 people.

The actor, who spent the first five years of his life in Newport before moving to Port Talbot, said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be here, back in the city of my birth, and it’s an honour to be associated with an exhibition that tells the story of the first national political movement that had the support of the working classes.”

The exhibition includes images, weapons, newsaper articles, videos, maps and audio messages from descendents of the key figures and local politicians.

There are also sections on the leaders’ trials at Monmouth’s Shire Hall in 1839, how far the Chartists’ demands were achieved and the history of coal mining in the area.

Many of the artefacts were already on display in other parts of the museum, but this is the first time they have been displayed together to tell the Chartists’ story as a permanent feature.

Newport council’s museums and heritage officer, Mike Lewis, said: “This is a very important story in the development of our democracy and we are hoping that, through school visits, it will encourage children to discuss the reasons and history behind the vote.”

source?

FOTO QUI

ely90jr
view post Posted on 10/4/2010, 22:58

ahahahah che cariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinooooooo!!!!! anche io farei una cosa del genere per Reggio Emilia se fossi qualcuno.. sai che onore per i newportesi avere un connazionale del genere?

*Giagiola*
view post Posted on 12/4/2010, 08:00

bravo michelino nostro ^^

The White Lady
view post Posted on 13/4/2010, 20:26

Che uomo!!! Adorabile e col senso di patriottismo della propria città natia...XD

3 replies since 10/4/2010, 10:25   276 views