Intervista a Michael - The Sun, 24-03-2009

« Older   Newer »
sensual_c83
view post Posted on 11/6/2009, 09:58

Quest'intervista è bellissima, c'è tanto di Michael :wub:

I've never felt pressure like playing Clough. He's a mix of Mourinho, Ferguson, Simon Cowell and Oscar Wilde
THINK of big personalities in football and Brian Clough would feature in the top one. Now his uncanny portrayal of the legendary former Nottingham Forest and Derby County manager has put Michael Sheen in the Hollywood big league.
He stars as Clough in The Damned United, a fictional account of the disastrous 44 days he spent in charge of Leeds in 1974.
For years the Welsh actor has wowed audiences with his incredible ability to become famous people.
His performances as Tony Blair in The Queen and David Frost in Frost/Nixon helped both films to Oscar nominations and he has been acclaimed for his screen re-creations of camp icon Kenneth Williams and sci-fi pioneer HG Wells.
Michael, 40, does months of research before every role, and admits Clough was his toughest.
He says: "With all the affection and admiration there still is for the man, it was a huge responsibility.
"I have never felt pressure like it, more pressure than Blair, because Clough is so loved."
Brian Clough's widow Barbara and his children are boycotting The Damned United because they did not like the David Peace novel from which it is adapted.
Peace is also the author of The Red Riding novels - the story of the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper, recently serialised on Channel 4 - but he says about The Damned United: "There are days I wish I'd never written the bleeding book."
The film, in cinemas on Friday, has a different take though, and Michael says: "I can understand why they are wary about the film because the book is very dark
"I am hoping that word will trickle back to them that this film is made with love, affection and respect and is trying to do a service to the memory of him."
Michael is in awe of Clough's managerial record, saying: "He was unique.
"You will never again get a team which go from the bottom of the second division (now the Championship) to the top of the Premier League (then the first division), with the same manager.
"And he did it twice - and won two European Cups.
"He is like a mixture of Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Simon Cowell and Oscar Wilde."
Michael grew up in Port Talbot, South Wales, and turned down the chance of a trial with Arsenal as a youngster - or rather, his dad did.
Michael explains: "We were on holiday at Pontins on the Isle of Wight and there was this lad there with his dad and his dad watched me playing.
"My memory might not be that accurate but I remember skinning Tony Adams.
"His dad came up to my dad after the match and asked if I would like to play for the youth team at Arsenal.
"My dad said it would have meant the whole family moving to London. My life was football at that point.
"That was my dream, so I was really upset. But pretty soon afterwards I realised my dad had made the right decision.
"The chance of me having a career in football would have been so slim, whereas my acting career is really taking off."
In June Michael will collect an OBE from the real Queen and after that he will play Blair again in a film called Special Relationship, about the former PM's friendship with Bill Clinton.
On the ex-Labour leader, he says: "I have never heard anything from Tony Blair.
"I find him a very interesting character. He polarises people."
The role he would most like, though, is to recount the story of one of his childhood heroes.
He smiles and says: "Once you start playing real-life people, you can't help in your mind thinking that person or that person.
"I would love to play Richard Burton.
"He had an amazing life, coming from a similar background to me, very working class.
"Then ended up being with the most glamorous woman in the world.
"Maybe I will do the Welsh trio - Burton, Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey. That would take people by surprise."
Michael's talent for impressions seems to have come from his father Meyrick.
He explained: "My dad is a Jack Nicholson lookalike, but more than that my family are really into amatuer dramatics.
"So I grew up with a lot of that stuff."
Michael was in a nine-year relationship with movie beauty Kate Beckinsale, 35, before she left him for director Len Wiseman.
Underworld series co-stars Kate and Michael had a daughter Lily, now ten, and remain friends for her sake. The situation led to Len and Michael becoming good pals.
Michael, who now dates dancer Lorraine Stewart, says: "Len is a really lovely man.
"Kate and I were together for nine years and she will always be one of the most important people in my life.
"I have real love for her and a lot of affection for Len.
"He has been a fantastic step- father for Lily, I couldn't really want anything better for my daughter."
Despite Michael's growing fame some people still accidentally call him Martin, mistaking him for the West Wing and Apocalypse Now actor Martin Sheen.
But Martin has told Michael that he has a lot to thank him for.
Michael recalls: "I still get called Martin. It could be worse, because I am a huge fan of Martin Sheen.
"One day I did meet him in LA and was introduced to him by someone who said 'Mr President, the Prime Minister'.
"Incredibly he said 'Oh, you're the reason why I have been getting all these great reviews.'
"He said people had been mistakenly giving him the reviews when they were really about me.
"It was a very generous thing to say.
"We ended up talking for hours.
"If I didn't have a fantastic father I would ask him to adopt me - I wouldn't have to change my name."
When Michael was at school the really famous Sheene on the scene was motorcycle racing champ Barry.
And Michael lied to his friends that Barry was his uncle.
He says: "People would always ask me if I was related to Barry Sheene and I have to say, to my great shame, that I said yes.
"Then, of course, it used to get more and more complicated, because people would ask for his autograph.
"So I would have to fake his autograph.
"Then, one of the worst moments of my life, the paper boy came to our house and he was at my school.
"I heard him ask my dad 'So is Barry Sheene your brother then?'
" 'Oh no, finally the lie is going to be exposed', I thought.
"Then my dad said, 'That's right'. My dad had saved me."
Now, it is Michael Sheen who everyone wants to know.

fonte

CITAZIONE
Michael was in a nine-year relationship with movie beauty Kate Beckinsale, 35, before she left him for director Len Wiseman.
Underworld series co-stars Kate and Michael had a daughter Lily, now ten, and remain friends for her sake. The situation led to Len and Michael becoming good pals.
Michael, who now dates dancer Lorraine Stewart, says: "Len is a really lovely man.
"Kate and I were together for nine years and she will always be one of the most important people in my life.
"I have real love for her and a lot of affection for Len.
"He has been a fantastic step- father for Lily, I couldn't really want anything better for my daughter."

Quest'uomo è un santo oppure un bravissimo bugiardo :blink:

ely90jr
view post Posted on 11/6/2009, 14:54

[QUOTE=sensual_c83,11/6/2009, 10:58]
"He is like a mixture of Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Simon Cowell and Oscar Wilde."
[QUOTE]

ziero titoli!!! ahaha no cioè solo un genio poteva dare una definizione del genere!! ahahah!!! anche se wilde.. che ci azzecca?? mamma mia però già il fatto che l'abbia citato... questione kate & co. mamma mia se era in sè e non aveva bevuto la birra rossa mentre lo diceva.. tanto di cappello.. che uomo.. cioè per come sono fatto i maschi che di solito ucciderebbero chi si ruba la propria compagna.. lui dicendo queste cose ha dimostrato di esssere un uomo + uinico che raro..

^Stef^
view post Posted on 11/6/2009, 16:42

CITAZIONE
Quest'uomo è un santo oppure un bravissimo bugiardo

me perplessa...
ma credo che adesso abbia superato tutto..sn rimasti in buoni rapporti per il bene della figlia..
se il compagno di kate fosse un cattivo esempio credo che non ci penserebbe due volte michelino ad allontanarlo da lily..
stimo tantissimo michele..che uomoo!! *__*

2 replies since 11/6/2009, 09:58   51 views